I've run across articles here and there on the internet for directions on making something called a ginger bug. After reading enough that I felt a little ginger buggy myself, I just tried it. And this is how I did it.
I started with fresh ginger that was really fresh looking, not wilted or wrinkled. I peeled and minced it and added it to a jar with water and a little sugar.
2 t. minced fresh ginger
2 t. sugar (I used refined white)
3 c. water
Every day I added 2 more teaspoons of ginger and 2 more teaspoons of sugar. I covered the jar tightly with a canning lid and screw top, but I think I should have covered it loosely, with a cloth and a rubber band. Regardless, it worked, even without proper airflow. (It probably worked because I opened it up and checked it 24,000 times a day for bubbles.)
|You can't see much of the fizziness, but it's there!|
It's also much, much cheaper. I think I've used about $.25 worth of ginger and probably the equivalent in sugar. And the juice was from my own grapes, so that cost is negligible.
This is only the beginning. I want to try this with many more fruit juices and teas and of course, figure out the biggie--root beer. So stay tuned!