Thursday, February 14, 2013

Making a Pie, part 2

Thanks for stopping by!  For the most recent content, you can find me at A Housewife Writes.

Now that I've told you how I was able to overcome extraordinary odds and make an actual pie crust (and in less than three hours, no less!) I thought I'd share the recipe that I use.  My mother uses a recipe called No Fail Pie Crust (an absurd name for a recipe that failed so unfailingly for me). Hers calls for egg and vinegar, but I like the fact that this one is so simple.  Both the pie crust and pie recipe are from the Searchlight cookbook, first published in 1931 and still easy to find at a reasonable price (See Amazon link on the sidebar.)

Plain Pastry
1 1/2 c. flour (I use whole wheat--Prairie Gold--with beautiful results)
1/2 c. lard or butter
1/4 c. cold water
1/2 t. salt

Sift flour, measure, and sift with salt.  Cut in lard or butter until mixture is coarse and granular.  Work water in lightly with a spatula until little balls of dough just hang together in one large ball.  [Then chill the dough, of course.] This makes one two-crust pie.


100_0589


















With my new-found pie-making knowledge, I've been having fun trying new recipes.  Old cookbooks are just packed with pie recipes!  I'll be working my way through them for the rest of my life.

It just so happened that I had some homemade slightly overdone (extra thick) blackberry jam in my pantry but it would be great with other kinds of jams, too.  It's the sour cream that makes this pie so rich and creamy.


Blackberry Jam Pie

3 eggs
1 c. sour cream
1 T. melted butter
1 c. blackberry jam
1/2 c. sugar
1 T. cornstarch
3 T. sugar (I used white sugar to keep the meringue pretty)
few grains salt
Beat egg yolks until thick.  Add cream, butter, and jam.  Combine 1/2 c. sugar, salt and cornstarch.  Add to first mixture.  Mix thoroughly.  Pour into pastry-lined pie pan.  Bake in hot oven (425 degrees) about 25 minutes.  Cover with meringue made of egg whites and 3 T. sugar.  Brown in slow oven (325 degrees) 20 minutes.

100_0590
Gorgeous color, huh?


100_0594
This post has been linked to Old Fashioned Friday.

2 comments:

  1. Oooh this looks delicious! I love all of the pie recipes you can find in old-fashioned cookbooks. There's nothing quite like a big slice of pie :)

    Thanks for sharing with Old-Fashioned Friday! I hope you'll stop by again!

    ReplyDelete